Video games, Facebook, and iPhones — what do these three things have in common? They were all built by people who learned how to code. Computer programming is a fun and exciting skill. All it takes is a little help to get started, and that’s what we’re here for.
CodeNow teaches underrepresented high school students the basics in computer programming. Our goal is to help you understand how to program in a way that is engaging, exciting and interactive, giving you invaluable experience for your future.
CodeNow makes learning about technology awesome with our hands-on, project-based approach to programming. We are recruiting NYC area high schoolers for the upcoming training which begins May 4th. Students selected are required to attend all six training sessions.
Who: NYC high school students grades 9-12.
When: May 4-5, June 1-2, June 8-9. *all dates required!
Where: Downtown Manhattan (location TBA).
Hours: 9am-4pm. Free lunch and snacks included!
If you’re interested in learning about computer programming, this program is a great opportunity for you. All applications due April 17th!
Our program consists of:
- Weekend Training: On the first day, students are taught Hackety Hack, an open-source application for youth to learn software design via Ruby. On the second day, we use Arduino motion sensors to teach students how to build and program microcontrollers.
- Online Homework: Students are assigned online homework to develop their programming skills. They watch videos, answer quizzes and earn badges online.
- Bootcamp: Students attend a 4-day training over consecutive weekends, during which each student will receive intensive training in the programming language Ruby. At the end of the bootcamp each attendee will have built a project.
- Laptops: Each student has an opportunity to earn their own laptop. This is done by arriving on time, completing homework and finishing assignments.
- Alumni Network: Every student who graduates from CodeNow is welcomed into our Alumni Network. You’ll receive invitations to regular meetups with other students and special events like College Readiness Day. Keep your new skills fresh with free online material!
- Fellowship (new to NYC!): Ready to take on the tech industry? Exceptional students who complete our training and bootcamp will be invited to join our fellowship program. This is a 6-8 week full-time summer commitment to becoming a computer programmer. Summer fellows are compensated with a weekly stipend.
Final Deadline: Wednesday, April 17th! Students who are considered for CodeNow’s training will be invited to an in-person interview.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please email@example.com with any questions.
Deadline: April 17th | View flyer (PDF)